There are not a lot of jobs I would leave my kids for 8 hours everyday to do. A lot of people know I am a teacher but what they do not know is where I teach. I have the privilege of teaching at one of the best places in all of Texas.... maybe even the United States. A while back I decided to work with what you might call "at risk children". My first teaching job was at a juvenile detention center. I learned so much from those kids (hopefully they learned something from me also). They taught me about patience, second chances and humbled me by always having a smile on their face despite their current situation. They truly inspired me to always find the good in every situation. I currently work at an alternative school which is equally as rewarding. When a child gets removed from his regular "home" campus they come to our campus. These children are usually what we call "oops" kids. They usually have made one mistake which caused them to be removed from their home campus. They are all wonderful children. I truly love every child that comes into my classroom. Sure, there are stressful days and believe me when I say.....some walls have to come down in order for me to reach and teach them. Thank goodness I also work with some of the most wonderful people you have ever met. Our new principal shared this poem with us before school started and I really believe this sums up what we do and believe.
THE STARFISH POEM
Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.
One day he was walking along the shore.
As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer.
He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day.
So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."
The wise man then asked, "Why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."
THE STARFISH POEM
Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing.
He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work.
One day he was walking along the shore.
As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer.
He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day.
So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man and the young man wasn't dancing, but instead he was reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.
As he got closer he called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"
The young man paused, looked up and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."
The wise man then asked, "Why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"
"The sun is up and the tide is going out. And if I don't throw them in they'll die."
"But, young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it. You can't possibly make a difference!"The young man listened politely. Then bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea, past the breaking waves and said-
"It made a difference for that one."
To watch the video click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZkq31J-GY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nZkq31J-GY
No comments:
Post a Comment